|Name / Japanese||Gold Ship / ゴールドシップ|
|Earnings||1,397,767,000 yen (only Japan)|
|Races-Win / G1-Win||28-13 / 16-6|
|Dam (Sire)||Point Flag (Mejiro McQueen)|
|Other site link||JBIS / Umanity / en.netkeiba|
|Awards||JRA Award for Best Three-Year-Old Colt (2012)|
G1 races + grade-races he won : In 2012 (age 3)
|Kyodo Tsushin Hai (G3)||3||1||G|
|2012 15/04||Nakayama T2000||Satsuki Sho (G1)||14||1||◆|
|2012 27/05||Tokyo T2400||Tokyo Yushun (Japanese Derby) (G1)||6||5||◆|
|Kobe Shimbun Hai (G2)||14||1||G|
|2012 21/10||Kyoto T3000||Kikuka Sho (G1)||1||1||◆|
|2012 23/12||Nakayama T2500||Arima Kinen (G1)||13||1||◆|
- In the Satsuki Sho, the first classic race, the inside of the track was a bad condition due to the rough grass and the rain the day before.
Almost all horses ran wide out on the last corner.
Gold Ship became the third from the front just by running the rail from the behind group.
He overtook the top two horses and finished in 1st place.
It was his first G1 win.
- In the Tokyo Yushun (Japanese Derby), the second classic race, he lost to Deep Brillante.
- In the Kikuka Sho, the third classic race, he was the 1st favorite.
He was easy to win the Kikuka Sho because there was no other strong candidate.
(From the results of the 2013 and 2014 Tenno Sho (Spring), if Fenomeno had run in the Kikuka Sho instead of the Tenno Sho (Autumn, 2012), Gold Ship might have lost.)
- In the Arima Kinen (2012), he came from behind.
He passed other horses in long spurts, which is his specialty.
He won by 2+1/2 lengths.
- He won the JRA Award for Best Three-Year-Old Colt (2012).
G1 races + Hanshin Daishoten : In 2013(age 4)
|2013 17/03||Hanshin T3000||Hanshin Daishoten (G2)||7||1||G|
|2013 28/04||Kyoto T3200||Tenno Sho (Spring) (G1)||8||5||◆|
|2013 23/06||Hanshin T2200||Takarazuka Kinen (G1)||10||1||◆|
|2013 24/11||Tokyo T2400||Japan Cup (G1)||13||15||◆|
|2013 22/12||Nakayama T2500||Arima Kinen (G1)||14||3||◆|
- He lost to Fenomeno in the Tenno Sho (Spring 2013).
- In the Takarazuka Kinen, he was the 2nd favorite.
Gentildonna was the 1st favorite.
He made a pace in the front group, which was unusual for him.
From there, he was easy to win by doing a long spurt that he is good at.
G1 races + Hanshin Daishoten : In 2014(age 5)
|2014 24/03||Hanshin T3000||Hanshin Daishoten (G2)||1||1||G|
|2014 04/05||Kyoto T3200||Tenno Sho (Spring) (G1)||8||7||◆|
|2014 29/06||Hanshin T2200||Takarazuka Kinen (G1)||11||1||◆|
|2014 05/10||Longchamp T2400||Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe (G1)||6||14||G|
|2014 28/12||Nakayama T2500||Arima Kinen (G1)||14||3||◆|
- He lost to Fenomeno again in the Tenno Sho (Spring).
- He won the Takarazuka Kinen in the similar way as the previous year.
His jockey, Norihiro Yokoyama, said after the race that he was praying, “Please, Master Gold Ship, Please run.”
G1 races + Hanshin Daishoten : In 2015(age 6)
|2015 22/03||Hanshin T3000||Hanshin Daishoten (G2)||8||1||G|
|2015 03/05||Kyoto T3200||Tenno Sho (Spring) (G1)||1||1||◆|
|2015 28/06||Hanshin T2200||Takarazuka Kinen (G1)||15||15|
|2015 29/11||Tokyo T2400||Japan Cup (G1)||12||10||◆|
|2015 27/12||Nakayama T2500||Arima Kinen (G1)||15||8|
- His connections’ biggest goal this year was to win the Takarazuka Kinen.
No horse has ever won three consecutive victories in the same turf-G1-race in JRA.
- He won the Hanshin Daishoten.
It was the third consecutive victory.
(The third consecutive victory in the same grade-race is the ninth in history.)
- In the Tenno Sho (Spring), he was the 2nd favorite.
He hated to go into the starting-gate, so he entered the gate blindfolded.
He finally won the third challenge of the Tenno Sho (Spring).
(Fenomeno did not run in the race.)
- In the Takarazuka Kinen (2015), many people expected him to win three consecutive victories in the same G1 race.
He was blindfolded from the beginning and he entered the starting-gate first.
He was quietly waiting for starting the race, but when Lovely Day came in next to him, he suddenly became violent.
He stood up on two legs inside the gate as soon as the starting-gate opened.
That was the moment when a horse ticket worth about 12 billion yen turned into a scrap of paper.
After that he was totally unmotivated and just running.
- In the Arima Kinen, he was the 1st favorite because he was loved by many fans and it was his last race.
He was the 1st favorite, but not much would have been expected of him.
In Japan, there are words like “応援馬券 (cheering horse tickets)” and “記念馬券 (commemorative horse tickets / memorial horse tickets).
These are ways of buying horse tickets without considering gambling.
A lot of people were buying tickets as a sign of pure support for him or to commemorate his retirement race.
He made a movement early.
When he went into the final corner, some fans thought his old-long-spurt was back.
In that moment, some fans thought of the Miracle Revival Victory of Oguri Cap and Tokai Teio.
Gold Ship often didn’t show motivation, but at that time he ran hard, raising and lowering his head on the home stretch.
A few fans were crying just for the fact that Gold Ship, the troublemaker, was running seriously.
However, his speed was already mediocre.
He finished in 8th place.
As a sire
- Uberleben won the 2021 Yushun Himba (Japanese Oaks).
- He was a very popular and loved by fans.
He wasn’t as popular as likely Oguri Cap, who was known to everyone, even those who didn’t know about horse racing.
But he was loved by many horse racing fans mainly because of his overly unique personality.
Write the reasons and episodes below.
- He likes to play with his stabler and often tore off towels and shirts.
- He was unmotivated to train.
- When he finds a horse or person he doesn’t like, he threatens or kicks.
Every time Gold Ship saw Tosen Jordan, Gold Ship went to kick Tosen Jordan.
Fenomeno and One and Only were threatened by Gold Ship.
One and Only began to run away as soon as he found Gold Ship.
(Gold Ship barked like an ox before the start of the Tenno Sho (Spring 2014).
He threatened Fenomeno.)
- He was good friends with Just a Way in the next room in the same stables.
- He refused to take the winning run.
- He barks, not neighs.
Some people who have been involved in horse racing for years have never heard a horse make this kind of voice before.
- He rejected being photographed for 5 minutes at his retirement ceremony.
- “Gold Ship Rodeo” = “image” “movie“
- “Gold Ship funny-face” = “google” “twitter“
- “Gold Ship Eccentricity” = “image” “movie“
- Even today, so many fans still go to the farm to see him.
- Many fans have uploaded his photos and videos to Twitter, youtube, etc.
- The number of his photos uploaded to the “netkeiba-photo-list” is much higher than other horses.
Amazon Japan associate
If you are blocking ads in this website, I would appreciate it if you would stop.