|Name / Japanese||Harp Star / ハープスター|
|Earnings||360,248,000 yen (only Japan)|
|Races-Win / G1-Win||11-5 / 6-1|
|Dam (Sire)||Historic Star (Falbrav)|
|Other site link||JBIS / Umanity / netkeiba|
|Awards||JRA Award for Best Three-Year-Old Filly (2011)|
|Niigata Nisai Stakes (G3)||17||1||G|
|Hanshin Juvenile Fillies (G1)||10||2||◆|
|Tulip Sho (G3)||3||1||G|
|Oka Sho (G1)||18||1||◆|
|Yushun Himba (Japanese Oaks) (G1)||10||2||◆|
|Sapporo Kinen (G2)||8||1||G|
|Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe (G1)||19||6||G|
|Japan Cup (G1)||6||5||◆|
|Kyoto Kinen (G2)||8||5||G|
|Dubai Sheema Classic (G1)||9||8||G|
- In the Niigata Nisai Stakes, she was 1st favorite.
She defeated the future Satsuki Sho winner, Isla Bonita, by 3 lengths.
It was her first grade-race win.
- In the Hanshin Juvenile Fillies, she was 1st favorite.
Harp Star, Red Reveur and Forevermore finished side by side.
Harp Star lost to Red Reveur by a nose.
- In the Oka Sho, the first classic race, she was by far the most favorite.
She ran at the back of the pack.
She came from behind and passed all the other horses in the home stretch.
It was her first G1 win.
- In the Yushun Himba, the second classic race, she was by far the most favorite.
She lost her shoes in the home stretch.
She frantically chased after the lead horse, but was unable to catch up just a little bit.
- Then her connections were going to run in the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe.
However, if a racehorse is in a foreign country for a long period of time, there are rules that require a longer quarantine period when it returns home.
Her connections decided to let her run in the Sapporo Kinen to see if she was suited to the Western-style turf, and then decide whether she would go to France or stay in Japan.
- In the Sapporo Kinen, she won defeating Gold Ship.
Her connections decided to go to France.
- In the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe, she finished 6th.
- In the Japan Cup, she hit Trading Leather (IRL), which caused the injury and slowed down sharply.
Harp Star finished 5th.
In my opinion, she shouldn’t have run.
I think it’s very tough for a three-year-old mare to go to France and race right away, then come back to Japan and race right away in Japan.
Trading Leather was diagnosed as having a poor prognosis and was euthanized.
I feel so sad for the Irish horse racing fans who lost their Derby horse in a foreign land.
Evaluation of her
- I’d say she was overrated by the media.
I’ll list a few obvious reasons.
- It was the popularity and success of her grand-dam Vega.
- Vega’s crops and Harp Star’s uncles, Admire Vega and Admire Don, were also successful.
- Her finishing kick was like her sire Deep Impact’s finishing kick.
- There were some people who thought such as she was the second coming of the monster (Deep Impact), a sure thing for the Triple Crown, and a future Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe horse.
- She’d actually only won one G1 race.
I think she could have won more.